Lowell Nov 20th 1845
Dear Father
An opportunity now presents itself which I improve in writing to you. I started for this place . . . Thursday. . . . Went to a boardinghouse and staid until Monday night. On Monday [I] . . . found a place in the spinning room and the next morning I went to work. I like very well have 50 cts first payment increasing every payment as I get along in work have a first rate overseer and a very good boarding place. I work on the Lawrence Corporation. Mill is No 2 spinning room. . . . It cost me $3.25 to come. Stage fare was $3.00. . . . Had 2.50 left with which I got a bonnet and some other small articles. . . . You must write as soon as you receive this. Tell Henry I should like to hear from him. If you hear anything from William write for I want to know what he is doing. I shall write to Uncle Millers folks the first opportunity. . . . I guess that Henry could get into the mill and I think that Julius might get in too. Tell all friends that I should like to hear from them.
excuse bad writing and mistakes
This from your own daughter
Mary
Lowell Dec 21st 1845
Dear Father
I get along very well with my work. I can doff as fast as any girl in our room. I think I shall have frames before long. The usual time allowed for learning is six months but I think I shall have frames before I have been in three as I get along so fast. I think that the factory is the best place for me and if any girl wants employment I advise them to come to Lowell. I have little time to devote to writing. . . . There are half a dozen letters which I ought to write to day but I have not time. Tell Harriet I send my love to her and all of the girls. Give my love to Mrs. Clement. Tell Henry this will answer for him and you too for this time.
This from
Mary S Paul
Lowell Nov 5th 1848
Dear Father
Doubtless you have been looking for a letter from me all the week past. . . . I was unable to get my old place in the cloth room on the Suffolk or on any other corporation. . . . So I went to my old overseer on the Tremont Cor[poration] . . . and I went to work last Tuesday--warping--the same work I used to do.
It is very hard indeed and sometimes I think I shall not be able to endure it. I never worked so hard in my life but perhaps I shall get used to it. . . . The wages are to be reduced on the 20th of this month. . . . The companies pretend they are losing immense sums every day and therefore they are obliged to lessen the wages, but this seems perfectly absurd to me for they are constantly making repairs and it seems to me that this would not be if there were really any danger of their being obliged to stop the mills.
It is very difficult for any one to get into the mill on any corporation. All seem to be very full of help. I expect to be paid about two dollars a week but it will be dearly earned. . . .
Write soon. Yours affectionately
Mary S Paul
P.S. Do not forget to direct [letters to me] to No. 5 Tremont Cor and tell all others to do the same.

No comments:
Post a Comment